Welcome to Rome, the Eternal City! The Italian capital is one of the most famous destinations in the world, and you can imagine there are many things to do including lots of tourist traps. Back when we lived in Rome, we enjoyed Pizza from the stone oven, drunk espresso out of tiny, old cups, and enjoyed the most delicious Gelato you can find in Rome!
We could not resist, and set up this travel Guide with 5 Secret Tips and hidden gems to Rome for you: Free, unique, and local!
- 32 fun things to do in Rome + Nightlife in Rome
- 3 best hostels in Rome for couples, solo travelers and friends
Where can you get the best Pizza, a creamy Gelato, and where in Rome can I get a coffee for a reasonable price?
We at Hostelgeeks are keen and proud to share with you our 5 cool local things you can do in Rome! This way you can enjoy Rome at its fullest, and get to know the local places!
We included a few unique tours on Airbnb experiences as well.
We also put together 5 non touristic things to do in Florence, and 5 tips to discover the hidden Venice. If you are more into hidden gems as destinations, you should take a look at Bologna. Bologna is one of our favorite hidden gems in Europe.
5 Secret Things to do in Rome, Italy
This guide with the best secrets to Rome is completely for free. All you have to do is typing in your email and name.
We will then send you over the secret things to in Rome via email.
Our secret tips for Rome include:
- get a magic view – seriously unique in Rome
- a 100% local pizza to taste the Pizza Rome has to offer
- simply the best café and cappuccino in Rome (go now, thank us later!)
- a place to enjoy the Italian Aperitivo with locals
- a relaxing paradise in the heart of Rome
- Extra Tip: The most creamy and mouth-watering Gelato in Rome
We hope you will enjoy the travel guide Rome, and the city itself.
When checking out the secret tips Rome, feel free to tag us on Instagram. We always love to see travel photos!
The Must do’s in Rome
Wanna list of the Must do in Rome? Here you have:
- Villa Borghese Park
- Trevi Fountain
- Pantheon- the entry is free, but you can get an audio guide for only 5 euro for Pantheon here
- Basilica Our Lady in Trastevere
- Colosseum & Imperial Forum – buy your tickets for Colosseum and Imperial forum here
- Piazza del Popolo
- Bocca della Verità
- Castelo Sant’Angelo – Buy here Castelo San’t Angelo entry.
- Altare della Patria
- Saint Peter’s Basilica
- Vatican Museum – avoid queues with the fast track entry to Vatican Museum here
- Piazza Navona
- Catacombs -discover the underground burial chambers with a 3-hour Catacombs tour
No 5 Star Hostel BUT 3 best hostels in Rome
Currently, there is no 5 Star Hostel in Rome. However, we found the best hostels in Rome for solo-travelers, couples and friends.
We wrote an extended article about the best hostels in Rome with photos, descriptions and even put all the hostels on a map + Nightlife locations for your reference.
Smart and Simple Packing List
It is time to see what you should pack in your backpack or suitcase. Make sure you always pick a quality accommodation, it totally reduces the things you need to pack. Here is our ultimate packing list. It features 23 items you should really throw in your backpack.The most important things to pack are:
- eye mask
- key chain flashlight
- the right backpack, the Nomatic (our review of Nomatic here) or Lowe Alpine Lightflite 45 Pack
- packing cubes
- generic padlock (fitting all locker types)
- quick-dry travel towel
- universal power adapter
- travel-sized toiletries