Welcome to Rome, the Eternal City! The Italian capital is one of the most famous destinations in the world, and you can imagine there are many things to do including lots of tourist traps. Back when we lived in Rome, we enjoyed Pizza from the stone oven, drunk espresso out of tiny, old cups, and enjoyed the most delicious Gelato you can find in Rome!
We could not resist, and set up this travel Guide with 5 Secret Tips and hidden gems to Rome for you: Free, unique, and local!
- 32 fun things to do in Rome + Nightlife in Rome
- 3 best hostels in Rome for couples, solo travelers and friends
- 3 best party hostels in Rome – for the real party-seeker
Where can you get the best Pizza, a creamy Gelato, and where in Rome can I get a coffee for a reasonable price?
We at Hostelgeeks are keen and proud to share with you our 5 cool local things you can do in Rome! This way you can enjoy Rome at its fullest, and get to know the local places! We included a few unique tours on Airbnb experiences as well.
We also put together 5 non-touristic things to do in Florence, and 5 tips to discover the hidden Venice. If you are more into hidden gems as destinations, you should take a look at Bologna. Bologna is one of our favorite hidden gems in Europe.
5 Secret Things to do in Rome, Italy
This guide with the best secrets to Rome is completely for free. All you have to do is typing in your email and name.
We will then send you over the secret things to in Rome via email.
Our secret tips for Rome include:
- get a magic view – seriously unique in Rome
- a 100% local pizza to taste the Pizza Rome has to offer
- simply the best café and cappuccino in Rome (go now, thank us later!)
- a place to enjoy the Italian Aperitivo with locals
- a relaxing paradise in the heart of Rome
- Extra Tip: The most creamy and mouth-watering Gelato in Rome
We hope you will enjoy the travel guide of Rome, and the city itself.
When checking out the secret tips Rome, feel free to tag us on Instagram. We always love to see travel photos!
The Must do’s in Rome
Wanna list of the Must-do in Rome? Here you have:
- Villa Borghese Park
- Trevi Fountain
- Pantheon- the entry is free, but you can get an audio guide for only 5 euro for Pantheon here
- Basilica Our Lady in Trastevere
- Colosseum & Imperial Forum – buy your tickets for Colosseum and Imperial forum here
- Piazza del Popolo
- Bocca della Verità
- Castelo Sant’Angelo – Buy here Castelo San’t Angelo entry.
- Altare della Patria
- Saint Peter’s Basilica
- Vatican Museum – avoid queues with the fast track entry to Vatican Museum here
- Piazza Navona
- Catacombs -discover the underground burial chambers with a 3-hour Catacombs tour
3 best hostels in Rome
Currently, there is no 5 Star Hostel in Rome. However, we found the best hostels in Rome for solo-travelers, couples and friends.
We wrote an extended article about the best hostels in Rome with photos, descriptions, and even put all the hostels on a map + Nightlife locations for your reference.
Best Travel Websites we recommend ❤️
(Fresh Update 2023)
Booking Hostels and Discounts 👏👏👏
As a user of Hostelgeeks, you also have access to exclusive hostel discounts. For booking hostels, we use:
We recommend installing the Hostelworld App. It is very useful!
How to find cheaper Flights ✈️
The first websites we always check are Skyscanner and Google Flights.
Find our step-by-step process in our review about Skyscanner.
Travel Insurance made easy 🤒
Smartest Travel Tools you need to know 🤓
- Airalo.com - eSim Cards for traveling worldwide
- Onward Ticket - get proof for onward travel
- iVisa - get your visa online fast
- Get Your Guide - for activities and sightseeing tickets
- Omio.com - for all types of transport
Find all our recommended travel tools and websites here.
Get your Smart Packing List (Free Printable)
Knowing what to pack and what not to pack is key. As an example, you need a one-fits-all padlock.
We put together the ultimate list of smart items to bring.