In Playa Grande, where the sunsets are pure magic, and the waves are a surfer’s dream, we’re here to uncover the top hostels that won’t break the bank. This article is your guide to budget-friendly stays in this Costa Rican paradise.
Here are the best hostels in Playa Grande, Costa Rica
- Playa Grande Surf Camp - best for surfers
- ONDA Playa Grande - best for social butterflies
- Sugar's Monkey - best for solo travelers
Money-saving tip: Compare hostel prices with Hostelz.com. They compare prices from Hostelworld, Booking.com and others with 1 click.
Backpacking around? We also have a guide on the best hostels in Costa Rica.
This guide is perfect for YOU, when you…
- are tired of crappy hostels!
- want a social Hostel to actually meet people
- are happy to spend $1 to $2 more for a much better experience
- 3 best hostels in detail
Quick Introduction to Playa Grande
Average price for a bed: Hostels in Playa Grande cost around $44 per night for a bed in a dorm. This is a rough average, just to give you an idea.
Check-In and Check-Out: The average check-in time is from 15:00 (3 pm), while the Check-Out time is before 11:00 (11 am). Hostels usually offer luggage storage in case you arrive earlier or leave later. Make sure you check if luggage storage is free or if there is an extra cost.
Must-try Costa Rican Dishes
- Casado: This quintessential Costa Rican dish is a must-try. It’s a hearty plate with rice, black beans, plantains, salad, and your choice of protein, typically fish, chicken, or beef.
- Gallo Pinto: Start your day the Costa Rican way with Gallo Pinto, a flavorful mix of rice and black beans seasoned with spices, often served with eggs, cheese, and a side of tortillas.
- Ceviche: Being a coastal town, Playa Grande offers some of the freshest seafood. Dive into a bowl of ceviche, a zesty dish of marinated fish or shrimp with lime, onion, and cilantro.
Must-try Costa Rican Drinks:
- Imperial: When in Costa Rica, you can’t miss trying Imperial, the country’s iconic beer. It’s a crisp and refreshing lager that pairs perfectly with sunset views.
- Chiliguaro: Spice up your night with a Chiliguaro, a fiery Costa Rican shot made with local liquor, Lizano sauce, hot sauce, and lime. It’s a favorite among locals and backpackers alike.
- Coffee Elixirs: While Costa Rica is famous for its coffee, try something different – a “Café Chorreado,” a traditional Costa Rican pour-over coffee, or a “Sweater Coffee,” which includes condensed milk and cinnamon.
Tips for staying on a budget as a backpacker:
- Street Food: Embrace the local flavors by munching on street food. Look for “sodas” – small family-owned eateries – for affordable and delicious meals.
- Surf Camps: Playa Grande offers budget-friendly surf camps that include accommodation, lessons, and board rentals. It’s an excellent way to enjoy the waves without breaking the bank.
- Happy Hour Hunter: Dive into happy hour deals at beachfront bars and restaurants. Sip on your favorite cocktail or beer while watching the sunset over the Pacific.
Local Culture Insights:
- Pura Vida Spirit: “Pura Vida” is more than just a phrase in Costa Rica; it’s a way of life. It means “pure life” and represents the country’s laid-back and joyful approach to living. Embrace it, and you’ll feel like a local in no time.
- Respect for Nature: Costa Ricans take their natural surroundings seriously. Keep this in mind and follow their lead by treading lightly and respecting the environment. Don’t be surprised if you see recycling bins everywhere!
- Bring Cash: Not all places in Playa Grande accept cards, so it’s wise to carry cash with you.
- Pack Sunscreen: With the tropical sun beaming down, sunscreen is your best friend. Don’t forget it when you hit the beach or explore the town.
🎁 New to Hostels? Read our guide to staying in a Hostel for the First Time here. We especially recommend reading:
- How to book hostels? (and websites to save $)
- 23 clever items: the hostel packing list to download
- How does the Hostelworld App work exactly? Our Advanced Guide
The 3 Best Hostels in Playa Grande are …
Let’s jump right into the coolest hostels in Playa Grande.
- Playa Grande Surf Camp – best for surfers
- ONDA Playa Grande – best for social butterflies
- Sugar's Monkey – best for solo travelers
These are our favorite hostels in Playa Grande. We want to make your life even easier, so we put all accommodations on a map for you. We even added our own tips for favorite restaurants, things to see, and more.
Overview: Best Hostels by Traveler Type
|🦸 Solo Traveler:||Sugar's Monkey|
|🧘 Cozy Hostel:||Playa Grande Surf Camp|
|🙎♀️ Female Solo Traveler:||Sugar's Monkey|
|🏄🏻♀️ Surf lovers:||Playa Grande Surf Camp|
|🌆 For Best Views:||Sugar's Monkey|
|🎒 for Backpacker:||Playa Grande Surf Camp|
|👫 For Socializing:||ONDA Playa Grande|
1. Playa Grande Surf Camp
Just a short walk away from Playa Grande beach, you’ll find Playa Grande Surf Camp located within palm trees and near the beach.
This hostel boasts an outdoor pool, a café, a BBQ zone, a shared kitchen, and relaxing hammocks to throw yourself in after a day spent surfing (or exploring the area).
It has good Wi-Fi, air-conditioned rooms and a lot of activities you can join in like horseback riding and hiking. All of these perks translate into a super friendly hostel with positive vibes where it’s super easy to meet people and just relax and enjoy yourself.
Obviously, as their name suggests, they also offer surfing lessons, but you don’t need to be a surfer to stay here
The best choice in Playa Grande for
2. ONDA Playa Grande
ONDA Playa Grande isn’t just for snoozing. It offers a groovy stay that plunges travelers headfirst into the spirited Playa Grande social scene.
A mere 500-yard (457.2m to be exact) stroll from Costa Rica’s coolest beach, their spaces encourage and threaten you with socializing and cater to remote workers with a top-tier coworking hub.
Here, you can also enjoy air-conditioned rooms because sweating while you’re sleeping isn’t quite it.
This hostel also offers sun-soaking action on its terrace, billiards games, and lots of good food that might make you want to extend.
Founded by travel aficionados, ONDA guarantees a chilled-out ambiance where bonding, beverage-sipping, and surf escapades are all the rage.
A great choice for
- social butterflies
3. Sugar's Monkey
Sugar's Monkey, a quirky guesthouse, delivers oceans of fun and relaxation, featuring free community spaces, a gym, and a pool table.
Located just 150 meters from white sandy shores, travelers of this hostel are surrounded by tropical gardens and sea breezes while savoring healthy and delicious food from their restaurant.
Turtle enthusiasts rejoice: this Playa Grande hostel offers guided turtle tours at night.
With eight cozy rooms equipped with AC and necessities, Sugar’s Monkey offers comfort for the laid-back traveler.
Swim in their pool surrounded by vibrant green trees and birdsongs or catch waves near Playa Grande’s center, this is the hostel of your dreams if you’re a turtle-loving-sun-soaking-nature-strolling traveler.
This is one of the best hostels in Playa Grande for
- Solo travelers
- nature lovers
Best Hostels in Playa Grande for Solo Travelers?
We think that the best hostel in Playa Grande is Sugar's Monkey. It offers a super laid-back and chill atmosphere, surrounded by everything that makes Playa Grande a must-see destination in Costa Rica.
Party Hostels in Playa Grande
The best party hostel in Playa Grande is ONDA Playa Grande. It’s probably not the wildest party hostel you’ll ever encounter, but it’s very social and adults only, so you’re guaranteed to have a good time in this environment if you’re more of a nightlife-lover.
More Hostels worth a mention
At the moment, we think you are all set with the hostels we just shared with you. We always try to keep our guides super fresh and up to date. We might add more hostels worth mentioning here in the future if we feel that it could enrich your travel and hostel experience.
What about the cheapest hostels in Playa Grande?
Of course, there are always cheap hostels. But how do you actually find them? When you are traveling on a shoe-string budget and you want to save every dollar, there are ways to find the cheapest places in Playa Grande.
- Open Hostelz.com with a full list of all hostels in Playa Grande
- add your dates
- Order the listings by price
Simple as that.
Hostelz.com is a price comparison site for hostels. They list every single one in the world and tells you exactly which website is cheaper to use.
Another smart Tip: Check what is actually included, and what is excluded. Take a closer look at the location, too. A further location might mean more costs in transport.
You can find all our hostel discounts worldwide here. Subscribe to our newsletter to receive the freshest hostel discounts directly in your inbox. We even have special discount codes we only share in the newsletter.
It is completely free to join!
How to book?
The most popular booking platforms are Booking.com and Hostelworld.com. On both platforms, your credit card is 100% protected and the booking 100% confirmed.
We included some handy links to each of the recommended hostel. Just click on the hostel name. The link will lead you to check prices and availability.
Read: Step-by-Step guide on how to book with Hostelworld
We recommend booking your hostel as early as possible! All of Playa Grande best hostels are popular; especially in high-season. To make sure you end up in those stylish and good hostels, secure your room/bed as soon as you have your travel dates fix.
The coolest Hostel App you need comes as well from Hostelworld. It gives you super cool features like you can contact your hostel mates beforehand, ask questions, and make plans together. Find more details in our review of the app.
Need an eSIM Card for Playa Grande?
No more searching for mobile stores. Get your eSIM Card for now and enjoy it instantly after landing in your new destination.
Our Favorite Hostels in Playa Grande put on a map + sights
We’re listing all the three best Playa Grande hostels on a map to give you an idea of the location and distances between them.
Any questions about hostels in Playa Grande?🤔
Join our Facebook Group!
Ask all your questions and connect with like-minded wanderers 🔥
Here we share with you the most asked question:
What are the best hostels in Playa Grande?
The best hostels in Playa Grande are:
What is the best hostel in Playa Grande for solo travelers?
The best hostels in Playa Grande for solo travelers is: Sugar's Monkey.
What are the best sites for finding hostels?
Of course, the best site to find hostels is Hostelgeeks.com 😉
We are doing our best to deliver the best hostels to you. Check out the best hostels in the world guides; from Paris to Tokyo.
You can also have a look at Hostelworld.
What is the best party hostel in Playa Grande?
The best party hostel in Playa Grande is: ONDA Playa Grande.
Are hostels in Playa Grande safe?
Not all hostels in Playa Grande are necessarily safe, especially the ones that offer cheap prices in sketchy areas. They might be illegal hostels or ones without the proper licenses and safety measures put in place.
In all fairness, it is best to check out Hostelgeeks.com because we feature safe hostels in Playa Grande. You can find backpacker hostels with top ratings here! Keep a close eye on the overall ratings on booking platforms!
If you are not secure, you can also email us and ask us!
How expensive are hostels in Playa Grande?
Hostels in Playa Grande cost around $44 per night for a bed in a dorm. This is a rough average, just to give you an idea.
What hostel in Playa Grande have nice views?
A hostel in Playa Grande with nice views is: Sugar's Monkey.
What hostel in Playa Grande is good for surfers?
One of the best hostel in Playa Grande for surfers is: Playa Grande Surf Camp.
Any questions about hostels in Playa Grande?🤔
Join our Facebook Group!
Ask all your questions and connect with like-minded wanderers 🔥
Flights to Playa Grande?
Skyscanner has a bunch of cool features like Multi-City Trip. Instead of doing this research step-by-step, Skyscanner offers this flight planning tool.
More handmade Guides for you
Alright, this is your answer to where to stay in Playa Grande, Costa Rica.
We did the leg work for you and bring you more hostel guides to destinations in Costa Rica:
- best hostels in Costa Rica
- Best Hostels in San José
- best hostels in Uvita
- best hostels in Tamarindo
- best hostels in Quepos
- best Hostels in La Fortuna
- best hostels in Manuel Antonio
- best hostels in Tortuguero
- best hostels in Monteverde
- best hostels in Jaco
- best hostels in Samara
- best hostels in Bahía Drake
- best hostels in Santa Teresa
- best hostels in Puerto Viejo
- Coolest Surf Hostels in Costa Rica
- 8 Best Yoga Retreats in Costa Rica
And other parts of Latin America:
You can find all our new and updated articles for Best Hostels here.
Over to you
Do you have any questions left, maybe doubts? Then please leave it in the comment below. We are very keen to help you - and actually you would even do us a favor!
Your question will help us to improve this Playa Grande guide.
Last note: Our commitment
This is a genuine article to help you travel a bit smarter, and find the best place on a budget! We will never recommend you any place we haven’t evaluated or are not convinced by. We are constantly updating all our guides to keep them as fresh and accurate as possible.
Best Travel Websites we recommend ❤️
(Fresh Update 2023)
Booking Hostels and Discounts 👏👏👏
As a user of Hostelgeeks, you also have access to exclusive hostel discounts. For booking hostels, we use:
We recommend installing the Hostelworld App. It is very useful!
How to find cheaper Flights ✈️
The first websites we always check are Skyscanner and Google Flights.
Find our step-by-step process in our review about Skyscanner.
Travel Insurance made easy 🤒
Smartest Travel Tools you need to know 🤓
- Airalo.com - eSim Cards for traveling worldwide
- Onward Ticket - get proof for onward travel
- iVisa - get your visa online fast
- Get Your Guide - for activities and sightseeing tickets
- Omio.com - for all types of transport
Find all our recommended travel tools and websites here.
Get your Smart Packing List (Free Printable)
Knowing what to pack and what not to pack is key. As an example, you need a one-fits-all padlock.
We put together the ultimate list of smart items to bring.