Welcome to Edinburgh, famous for its medieval atmosphere, its numerous ghost stories, and of course the night life. The city hides a lot of treasures of things to do. We unscrambled a few hidden gems to present you the 5 best local things you can do in Edinburgh.
The Geeky Guide Edinburgh is a guide written by friends for friends. We will introduce you to locals places to get a drink, great food, and to hang out at the hippest, local places in town.
And the best part of this deal for you?
The travel guide Edinburgh is as always for free, same as the 5 Secret tips to London.
Make sure you also read our guide to 26 fun things to do in Edinburgh.
Download the 5 Secrets Tips of Edinburgh for free:
Travel Guide Edinburgh got you covered:
- 100% fun guaranteed! This bar is not just a locals place to get a drink, there is way more!
- A local place for a BBQ – if the weather is on your side,
- Beautiful spot to enjoy the panorama view all over Edinburgh
- a super-cozy Coffee place to rest, and to get the best coffee in Edinburgh
- and a sustainable award-winning restaurant close to the 5 Star Hostel CODE Hostel
Additionally, here are more things to do in Edinburgh.
3 Top Hostels in Edinburgh
Edinburgh has some fantastic hostels to offer. No need to go with an Airbnb or hotel here, seriously.
A bed in a dorm can be as cheap as 16€ up to 28€ per night. And as for the location, the city is relatively small. That includes the Old Town and the castle. All accommodations listed are hostels located near Edinburgh Waverley Station. It will take you maximum 20 min to walk.
- Castle Rock Hostel (top choice for backpackers)
- CODE Hostel (perfect for couples, solo travellers and digital nomads)
- The Baxter Hostel (number one for female solo travellers)
Read: Big guide to 3 best hostels in Edinburgh, Scotland compared
We also wrote up a big guide on best hostels in Scotland with itinerary.
Hostel Packing List
It is time to see what you should pack in your backpack or suitcase. Make sure you always pick a quality hostel, it totally reduces the things you need to pack. Here is our ultimate hostel packing list. It features 23 items you should really throw in your backpack.The most important things to pack are:
- eye mask
- key chain flashlight
- the right backpack, the Nomatic (our review of Nomatic here) or Lowe Alpine Lightflite 45 Pack
- packing cubes
- generic padlock (fitting all locker types)
- quick-dry travel towel
- universal power adapter
- travel-sized toiletries