A while ago as we asked our readers what they want to know and read. You are planning your summer vacation and asking, which are the best places to visit in Eur... Read More...
Are you planning a trip to Italy on a budget?
Backpacking Italy is then a fantastic idea. This country is packed with cool hostels to explore, cheap destinations and a few gems you will admire all day long.
Read: the best hostels in Europe
All hostels we recommend are great for solo-travelers. So don’t your worry when you are backpacking Italy alone.
1. As a daily budget, I would calculate around 60$ (50€).
You can stay in a hostel a night for around 20€. Eating out can be cheap in smaller destinations and the south. Big cities like Rome, Venice and Milan are more expensive. Here I recommend to cook your own meals in the hostels kitchen.
Read: Our guide to hostels.
2. Some restaurant charge a so-called coperto or other fees. Always ask how much something is BEFORE you order.
3. Traffic in Italy, well, let’s call it creative. Watch out when crossing the streets!
4. Wanna hunt down the best pizza? The best Pizza in the country can be found in Naples. There are a few streets you should avoid. Ask your hostel for more information (I don’t know the area to well to give any hard, solid information!)
5. Bologna is a food capital, it’s epic to come here
6. Venice is gorgeous and pricey. Opt for the best hostel in town, the WE Crociferi. Then you can stay on the main island and save money in transport.
7. Renting a car is a popular way to travel. It is safe, and easy. There are tolls though you’ve to pay. Compare car rentals in Italy here.
8. the cheaper option is traveling by train. Trains can be quite cheap, just check out the official train in Italy.
Keep scrolling. Here you find all our articles about traveling Italy on a budget.