For a limited time only one of our favourite hostel chains has introduced what is known as a Mad Monkey Golden Ticket. Sounds intriguing, right?!
Mad Monkey Hostels is the culprit of this genius idea and we’re excited to let you know what it is, how it works and where in the world you can use it.
Psst! Mad Monkey happens to be one of the Best Hostel Chains in the World as far as we’re concerned.
This is your opportunity to spend 30 – 90 days exploring epic Mad Monkey hostels in South East Asia at a seriously affordable price.
Eager to get going? We are too! In this guide we cover:
- Intro to Mad Monkey Hostels
- What is a Mad Monkey Golden Ticket?
- Terms and Conditions
- Cancellations & Refunds
- Map of eligible Mad Monkey Hostels
- Top 3 Mad Monkey Hostels
Introduction to Mad Monkey Hostels
First off, we think it’s important to introduce our host of the Golden Ticket; Mad Monkey Hostels!
This hostel chain is found in South East Asia and Australia in some of the best hot spots for backpackers and solo travellers.
Since the story began in 2010, Mad Monkey has become one of the largest hostel companies in Asia, serving over 350,000 travellers per year!
How would we best describe Mad Monkey? Easily an epic party hostel chain! And yet, they are not your typical party hostel…
“We want to show you an epic time by immersing our guests in the local culture and connecting them to the communities they’re exploring. Our socially responsible hostel has projects in Asia that directly support the locals – building water wells, creating education funds, and providing fair employment for our team – which we’ve found is the best way to affect change. Your stay with us contributes to these efforts!”
Guess what? Mad Monkey is on our list of the best party hostels in the world.
Their hostels can be found in:
Awesome: Mad Monkey is always growing and brand new hostels are on their way in destinations such as Bali, Goa and Sri Lanka. Hostelz has this page highlight all Mad Monkey hostels at once.
To give you an overall idea of what to expect at Mad Monkey Hostels, here is a quick list of amenities that can be enjoyed during your stay at selected hostels…
- Outdoor swimming pool
- Onsite bar + daily Happy Hour
- Party games, live music, DJs
- Restaurant & food discounts
- Beach access
Mad Monkey is well suited to digital nomads, solo travellers, party animals and sociable couples. Female solo travellers can also enjoy the luxury of female only dorms in selected hostels.
They even made it to our list of the best beach hostels in the world with their Mad Monkey Nacpan Beach hostel. You can read it on EPIC Beach Hostels in every corner of the World
What is a Mad Monkey Golden Ticket?
It’s pretty simple, straightforward and super cool – the Mad Monkey Golden Ticket gives you affordable access to any Mad Monkey hostel in Thailand, Cambodia, Loas, Indonesia or the Philippines.
Simply purchase a ticket that’s valid for 30, 60 or 90 days and activate it as soon as you check in to your first Mad Monkey Hostel!
You can stay at as many Mad Monkey hostels during that time, in as many countries… so yeah, we highly recommend opting for the 90 day ticket so you can really make the most of it.
Awesome: Your Golden Ticket will be valid for use up until the end of 2023! Buy now, travel later (especially helpful during these uncertain times).
Skip to our handy map to discover eligible Mad Monkey Hostels.
Here are some the Golden Ticket perks:
- Affordable: Works out to be just a few bucks a night! You can pay in full or over 3 instalments with their handy payment plan.
- Flexible: Come and go as you please, mix & match hostels across five countries in SE Asia
- Versatile: Travel freely, work remotely, adventure, party…
- Risk-free: Use your ticket whenever you want before 2024.
Good to know: Your ticket is valid for stay in a shared dorm room, but there is an option to upgrade to a private room when you check in (extra cost involved).
Mad Monkey Golden Ticket Pricing
The purchase of a Golden Ticket has been split into three different passes that differ in length and price. Basically, buy a ticket that lasts for 30, 60 or 90 days – these are your three options.
Here is a handy snapshot that tells you all you need to know in regard to the different pricing options.
It’s as straight forward as it sounds: buy a 30 day ticket and enjoy 30 days of use until it is no longer valid.
Reminder: You can stay in as many or as little Mad Monkey Hostels in South East Asia during this 30 day period. Stay in just one or all of them – it’s totally up to you!
Terms and Conditions
Another thing we love about the Mad Monkey Golden Ticket deal is that it is kept super simple and straightforward when it comes to terms and conditions.
To help you save precious time that can be used on planning your trip, here are all of the outlined T&C’s from the Mad Monkey website:
(Psst! We know this small print can be boring to read, but take the time anyway and avoid any disappointment for frustrating situations.)
- Your ticket is valid for a consecutive number of specified days after your first check-in. For example, if you check in at your first Mad Monkey with a 30 day Golden Ticket on the 1st of January, your Golden Ticket will be valid until the morning of January 31st.
- You can use this ticket to stay at any Mad Monkey in Southeast Asia that is open during your time of travel. This offer does not include our Australian properties. See a list of all of our properties on our home page with many more planned for 2021 and 2022.
- Property availability is subject to change based on our development plans, including additions, removals, and changes to existing destinations.
- Accommodation is based on a dormitory room sharing with other travelers.
- Upgrade at any time to a private room for a 50% discount of the existing published rates, subject to availability.
- Mad Monkey Golden Tickets cannot be used at properties that are not within Mad Monkey’s Southeast Asia network — that’s just madness!
- Book your stay online in advance as you would normally do on our website. When you arrive, simply show your passport and if you have an active Golden Ticket, you will not be charged for your bed.
- Availability depends on other advanced bookings and property capacities. Secure your place in advance of your arrival to avoid disappointment. If you have not booked in advance and we do not have available beds, we will not be able to accommodate you until we do. This is especially important during peak season and holiday dates.
- This offer is only valid for bookings directly made on our website — www.madmonkeyhostels.com — and is not available on reservations made on Hostelworld, Agoda or any other online travel website.
Cancellations & Refunds
Once you’ve selected your desired Golden Ticket and you’re at the checkout stage, there is an option to select what’s called a ‘Flexible Cancellation Golden Ticket add on’.
This can be purchased at an additional fee – we had a look and this costs around $11 extra, so we definitely think it’s worth it.
Basically, if you need to cancel your Golden Ticket FOR ANY REASON including travel restrictions and personal reasons you can do so.
The team will make sure you receive a full refund of the ticket price within 30 days. Easy peasy. The only thing you will not get back is the flexible cancellation fee of $11.
Note: If travel restrictions remain significantly restricted after 2023 and you did not choose the flexible cancellation add on, your ‘non-refundable’ ticket will be made refundable.
Map of eligible Mad Monkey Golden Ticket Hostels
To make things simpler, we decided to create a handy map that pinpoints all of the eligible Mad Monkey Hostels that accept a Golden Ticket.
Important: Only hostels in South East Asia are part of the Golden Ticket deal.
Click on a hostel on the map and you’ll find a handy link to take you directly to their Hostelworld booking page.
Have a look below and start planning your mad South East Asia adventure!
Our Favourite Mad Monkey Hostels
Alright, so by now you’re convinced that investing in a Mad Monkey Golden Ticket is a fabulous idea, right? Right!
Next you’ll definitely want to look at which Mad Monkey hostels in South East Asia are worth visiting. This is where the Hostelgeeks come in to save the day (again).
Below are our absolute top 3 favourites that we highly recommend adding in to your itinerary.
Mad Monkey Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Mad Monkey Phnom Penh is actually our #1 choice when it comes to the best hostels in Phnom Penh.
It’s all about the social vibes here which is supported by awesome amenities: swimming pool, foosball, onsite restaurant, poolside bar.
There are many fun tours to join during your stay which include a visit to the killing fields and a boisterous pub crawl.
Compare prices and read reviews at: Booking.com | Hostelworld
Mad Monkey Gili Trawangan
How about a 12 metre infinity pool overlooking the ocean, plus daily & nightly events and a lively hostel bar?!
Yep, it’s no wonder this Mad Monkey is one of our best hostels in Gili Trawangan, Indonesia – a top choice if you’re looking to enjoy some parties as part of your Golden Ticket experience.
Drinking games and DJs are a nightly occurence here. Need we say more?
Compare prices and read reviews at: Hostelworld
How do I ensure I have a bed at my next Mad Monkey?
Make sure you book online at Hostelworld.com before arrival. They will ask for your credit card details to secure the booking but you will not be charged. Show you Golden Ticket at check-in and you will not be charged then, either. Simple!
Will all properties be available?
All of the Mad Monkey hostels in South East Asia are available to book with Golden Tickets. Only the hostels in Australia are not part of the deal.
Do I have to stay at Mad Monkey the entire time?
Nope! It’s likely you’ll want to explore other areas that do not have a Mad Monkey hostel. Feel free to explore elsewhere for a few days before returning to Mad Monkey.
Summary: Mad Monkey Golden Ticket
Mad Monkey Golden Ticket is such a cool option for anyone that wants to explore long-term the wonders of South East Asia.
Thanks to the overall vibe of Mad Monkey, these hostels are suited to a range of traveller types, from solo travellers and backpackers, to female solo travellers and digial nomads. The only prerequisite is an enjoyment for social vibes and the odd party!
We can’t recommend investing in a Golden Ticket enough.
For the price and what’s included, we can’t see there being anything to lose – can you?!
We’d love to hear your experiences of using a Golden Ticket. Share your comments below.
Best Travel Websites we recommend ❤️
(Fresh Update 2023)
Booking Hostels and Discounts 👏👏👏
As a user of Hostelgeeks, you also have access to exclusive hostel discounts. For booking hostels, we use:
- Hostelz.com - hostel price comparison
We recommend installing the Hostelworld App. It is very useful!
How to find cheaper Flights ✈️
The first websites we always check are Skyscanner and Google Flights.
Find our step-by-step process in our review about Skyscanner.
Travel Insurance made easy 🤒
We are currently using Safetywing and Hey Mondo. We wrote detailed guides about these insurances:
- Our review of Safetywing, compared to others
- a detailed review of HeyMondo Travel Insurance
Smartest Travel Tools you need to know 🤓
- Onward Ticket - get a proof for onward travel
- iVisa - get your visa online fast
- Get Your Guide - for activities and sightseeing tickets
- Omio.com - for all types of transport
Find all our recommended travel tools and websites here.
Get your Smart Packing List (Free Printable)
Knowing what to pack and what not to pack is key. As an example, you need a one-fits-all padlock.
We put together the ultimate list of smart items to bring.