Located at the base of the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, Boulder is a picturesque city nestled in northern Colorado. Majestic rock formations, scenic views, stellar food, Downtown’s pedestrian Pearl Street Mall, and the Museum of Natural History are just a few reasons to visit this gorgeous city.
In essence, Boulder also offers a unique balance of urban and outdoor activities that makes it interesting to tourists from all around the world.
Boulder radiates major hippy/artsy vibes, and we are all here for it! You can see and do so much in this breathtaking town.
From exploring the downtown and hiking in national parks to witnessing the awe-inspiring beauty of the famous flatiron mountains and visiting Dushanbe Teahouse or strolling in the University of Colorado – we bet that your Boulder itinerary will be filled with a plethora of fun-filled activities.
Looking for your next destination? Here is our detailed guide to the best hostels in Denver.
- Boulder Adventure Lodge - best for solo travelers
- Foot of the Mountain Motel - best for families
- Boulder University Inn - best for couples
Money-saving tip: Compare hostel prices with Hostelz.com. They compare prices from Hostelworld, Booking.com and others with 1 click.
If you love hiking, Boulder will provide you with an epic experience that you will remember forever. It is composed of many amazing trails with breathtaking scenic views that are every nature lover’s dream. Colorado Chautauqua Park, Mountain Sanitas trailhead, and Boulder Canyon trail are just a few examples of famous hiking spots. Here you can hike, bike, or explore other adventurous outdoor activities.
The best part? Boulder also encompasses pet-friendly trails to make your holiday trip even more pawsome! If you are travelling with your furry friends and wish to hike in northern Colorado, we suggest you check out Royal Arch Trail, Bear Peak via Shanahan Ridge, or Skunk Canyon Trail for the best experience. Some of these trails are also historical landmarks and will provide you with a good opportunity to witness the raw beauty of Boulder.
For adventurous travellers seeking a thrilling experience, mountain biking in Boulder is definitely a MUST!
Boulder is famous for its national parks and historical landmarks. Visit Rocky Mountain National Park, take an E-bike tour across the town, or do a fun city scavenger hunt!
Want to explore USA? Check out our detailed guide to the best hostels in the USA.
This guide is perfect for YOU, when you…
- are tired of crappy hostels!
- want a social Hostel to actually meet people
- are happy to spend $1 to $2 more for a much better experience
Flatirons are the striking reddish-brown set of five rock formations that are located on the west side of town. These iconic landmarks offer enchanting city views that will leave you in awe! Head towards the foothills to explore them on a deeper level.
You can opt for hiking or rock climbing to reach these Rocky Mountains. Although the track is pretty challenging, the end result is totally worth it! Ranger Cottage is popular for picnics and hangouts since it is right off the main parking lot. Flatirons also feature diverse wildlife including red foxes, mountain lions, squirrels, and chipmunks. Since Flatirons offer gorgeous views of Boulder, they create a perfect backdrop for your travelling pictures!
For wanderlust seekers who are looking for a kickback and relaxing vacation, create an ideal trip by visiting Boulder spas that offer some of the most amazing massages in the world! You can also stroll Pearl Street, visit a theatre, and go to a Persian tea house to sip delightful tea or dine in the popular dining hall for a relaxing experience.
Thinking about where to stay in Boulder? Don’t worry, we have got you covered! We have handpicked the best hostels in Boulder to make your trip even more comfortable and special.
What do we cover in this article?
- 3 best hostels in detail
Quick Introduction to Boulder
Average price for a bed: Hostels in Boulder cost $59 – $67 per night for a bed in a dorm. A private room has an average of around $187 per night. This is a rough average, just to give you an idea.
Check-In and Check Out: The average check-in time is from 15:00 (3 pm), while the Check-Out time is before 11:00 (11 am). Hostels usually offer luggage storage in case you arrive earlier or leave later. Make sure you check if luggage storage is free or if there is an extra cost.
Safety in Boulder: Boulder is a very safe city, especially for solo travelers. The city has a low crime rate, and police presence is visible throughout the city.
Getting around Boulder: Boulder is a great city for solo travelers, as it is easy to get around. The city’s bus system, RTD, provides frequent service throughout the city and Boulder County. There is also a free local bus called the Hop and the city also has a bike-share program, which allows people to rent bikes for short trips within the city.
What to see in Boulder: Boulder, Colorado is a beautiful city nestled at the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, offering plenty of natural beauty and outdoor activities. Here are some of the top attractions and things to see in Boulder:
- Flatirons: These iconic rock formations are a must-see when visiting Boulder. You can hike to the top of the Flatirons for stunning views of the city and the surrounding mountains.
- Pearl Street Mall: This pedestrian-only street is lined with restaurants, shops, and street performers. It’s a great place to grab a bite to eat, do some shopping, or people-watch.
- Boulder Farmers Market: Open on Saturdays and Wednesdays, the Farmers Market is a great place to sample local produce, baked goods, and other artisanal products.
- Chautauqua Park: This historic park offers hiking trails, picnic areas, and stunning views of the Flatirons.
- Boulder Creek Path: This paved path runs alongside Boulder Creek and is popular for walking, running, and biking.
- University of Colorado Boulder: Take a stroll around the beautiful campus and check out the museums and galleries, including the Museum of Natural History and the CU Art Museum.
- NCAR – National Center for Atmospheric Research: This research center offers interactive exhibits and tours about the science of weather and climate.
- Celestial Seasonings Tea Factory: Take a free tour of the tea factory and see how the company makes its famous herbal teas.
- Colorado Chautauqua: This historic venue hosts a variety of concerts, films, and cultural events throughout the year.
- Boulder Dushanbe Tea House: This beautiful tea house was a gift from the city of Dushanbe, Tajikistan, and features stunning handcrafted decorations and traditional teas and snacks.
🎁 New to Hostels? Read our guide to staying in a Hostel for the First Time here. We especially recommend reading:
- How to book hostels? (and websites to save $)
- 23 clever items: the hostel packing list to download
- How does the Hostelworld App work exactly? Our Advanced Guide
The 3 Best Hostels in Boulder are …
Let’s jump right into the coolest hostels in Boulder.
- Boulder Adventure Lodge – best for solo travelers
- Foot of the Mountain Motel – best for families
- Boulder University Inn – best for couples
These are our favorite hostels in Boulder. We want to make your life even easier, so we put all accommodations on a map for you. We even added our own tips for favorite restaurants, things to see, and more.
Overview: Best Hostels by Traveler Type
|🦸 Solo Traveler:||Boulder Adventure Lodge|
|🙎♀️ best for Female Solo Traveler:||Boulder Adventure Lodge|
|👩❤️👨 Couple Hostel:||Boulder University Inn|
|👨👩👦 Family Hostel:||Foot of the Mountain Motel|
|👩💻 For Digital Nomads:||Boulder University Inn|
|🎒 for Backpacker:||Boulder Adventure Lodge|
|🧘 Cozy Hostel:||Boulder Adventure Lodge|
1. Boulder Adventure Lodge
Boulder Adventure Lodge Hands down the best hostel in Boulder!
Nestled in the heart of the city amidst the gorgeous views of downtown, Boulder Adventure Lodge also known as A-Lodge Boulder is an amazing hostel created for thrill-seekers. Because of its central location, you can explore the city conveniently.
The accommodation offers spacious, tidy rooms with bunk beds, comfortable twin mattresses, and private bathrooms. There is a shared lounge where you can relax, enjoy a drink, and interact with other explorers.
Their standard Queen room is ideal for backpackers or solo travellers. At the same time, the Double Queen Rooms are great for people travelling in a group or with family. There is an on-site restaurant that prepares fresh Boulder delicacies.
You can also prepare your own meals or pack your lunch for your trip in the shared kitchen. All the rooms are equipped with TV and free Wi-Fi to provide you with the best entertainment services during your stay in Boulder.
Location: Since the Boulder lodge is located just 5 minutes from downtown, you can also experience the epic nightlife of Colorado.
This is the best hostel for adventure seekers. Why? Because all the incredible hiking trails are nearby. You can also visit the Boulder History Museum or climb Flagstaff Mountain to witness epic city views. There is also a paragliding launch nearby!
The best choice in Boulder for
- solo travelers
- budget travellers
2. Foot of the Mountain Motel
Foot of the Mountain Motel is a modern mountain motel that prides itself on having dog-friendly rooms.
It is close to many activities and attractions and offers a friendly and helpful staff. The property is minutes away from hiking, skiing, and other outdoor activities.
It offers a variety of accommodation options from rooms with two beds to family suites. All guest rooms at Foot of the Mountain Motel are equipped with a flat–screen TV, air conditioning, bed linen, towels, and a private bathroom with a hairdryer. Certain rooms offer a patio as an additional amenity.
Location: Situated 4.7 km from the University of Colorado at Boulder. The motel is 43 km away from Dinosaur Ridge, 45 km from Union Station, and 46 km from Red Rocks Park and Amphitheater.
A great choice for
3. Boulder University Inn
Boulder University Inn offers comfortable and spacious private bathrooms, lockers, wardrobes, a microwave, a coffee machine, a hair dryer, and a TV screen.
The rooms available are two queens, a deluxe king, and a deluxe junior suite. You can choose the one that suits your needs and budget perfectly. Free Wi-Fi and parking are also offered for guests. There is a seasonal outdoor swimming pool where tourists can swim and relax.
The best part about this hostel is that it is pet-friendly. So if you are travelling with your fur babies and looking for a comfortable place to stay, choosing the Boulder university inn is the right choice for you. Bonus point? The furry friends will also receive treats at check-in!
Location: Located within 2 km of the University of Colorado, Boulder University Inn is a classic 2-story hotel that offers dreamy views of Flagstaff Mountain.
The Inn is located near popular destination spots, including the Boulder Museum of Contemporary Art, Fox Theatre and Boulder Theatre. Since the hostel is close to Denver Airport, you can also avail yourself of convenient public transportation from the airport to your accommodation.
You can also hike in Fortune Park or Hiram Fullen Park, just minutes from the hostel. Take a bike tour at Emma Gomez Martinez for a thrilling experience. The lush green scenic views will leave you in awe.
This is one of the best hostels in Boulder for
Best Hostels in Boulder for Solo Travelers?
We think that the best hostel in Boulder is Boulder Adventure Lodge.
More Hostels worth a mention
At the moment, we think you are all set with the hostels we just shared with you. We always try to keep our guides super fresh and up to date. We might add more hostels worth a mention here in the future if we feel that it could enrich your travel and hostel experience.
Backpacking Tips For Boulder
Read the following backpacking tips to have a wonderful experience in Boulder:
1. Travelling by bus is the best way to explore Boulder on a budget. The city offers a convenient and affordable public transportation system. The RTD bus system is good for getting around Boulder since it is more efficient and cost-effective. However, opting for HOP bus routes is highly recommended for travelling to national landmarks and popular destinations. Here is an amazing tip: get a day pass in Boulder to avail yourself of amazing discounts and unlimited city rides!
2. Although the Flatirons are famous for abundant wildlife, you must take all the precautionary measures before hiking or climbing into the Rocky Mountains for safety purposes.
3. Boulder boasts 76 hiking trails that offer breathtaking nature views. Pack all the essentials for your hiking trip, including water, snacks, SPF, a rain jacket, and a first aid kit. Follow all the map directions properly and beware of Colorado’s wildfires.
4. Also, Boulder is considered a food hub, so make sure that you treat yourself to a food tour and try all the remarkable eateries!
5. The city offers a unique blend of adventure and history. And guess what? Most of the museums and art galleries in Boulder are completely FREE! Yes, including the University of Colorado. In essence, many local venues feature incredible events, theatrical plays, and film screenings. Visiting museums and art galleries are the best way to explore the vast culture and fascinating history of Boulder.
What about the cheapest hostels in Boulder?
Of course, there are always cheap hostels. But how do you actually find them? When you are traveling on a shoe-string budget and you want to save every dollar, there are ways to find the cheapest places in Boulder.
- Open Hostelz.com with a full list of all hostels in Boulder
- add your dates
- Order the listings by price
Simple as that.
Hostelz.com is a price comparison site for hostels. They list every single one in the world and tells you exactly which website is cheaper to use.
Another smart Tip: Check what is actually included, and what is excluded. Take a closer look at the location, too. A further location might mean more costs in transport.
You can find all our hostel discounts worldwide here. Subscribe to our newsletter to receive the freshest hostel discounts directly in your inbox. We even have special discount codes we only share in the newsletter.
It is completely free to join!
How to book?
The most popular booking platforms are Booking.com and Hostelworld.com. On both platforms, your credit card is 100% protected and the booking 100% confirmed.
We included some handy links to each of the recommended hostel. Just click on the hostel name. The link will lead you to check prices and availability.
Read: Step-by-Step guide on how to book with Hostelworld
We recommend booking your hostel as early as possible! All of Boulder best hostels are popular; especially in high-season. To make sure you end up in those stylish and good hostels, secure your room/bed as soon as you have your travel dates fix.
The coolest Hostel App you need comes as well from Hostelworld. It gives you super cool features like you can contact your hostel mates beforehand, ask questions, and make plans together. Find more details in our review of the app.
Need an eSIM Card for Boulder?
No more searching for mobile stores. Get your eSIM Card for now and enjoy it instantly after landing in your new destination.
Our Favorite Hostels in Boulder put on a map + sights
We’re listing all the three best Boulder hostels on a map to give you an idea of the location and distances between them.
Any questions about hostels in Boulder?🤔
Join our Facebook Group!
Ask all your questions and connect with like-minded wanderers 🔥
Here we share with you the most asked question:
What are the best hostels in Boulder?
The best hostels in Boulder are:
What is the best hostel in Boulder for solo travelers?
The best hostel in Boulder for solo travelers are Boulder Adventure Lodge.
What are the best sites for finding hostels?
Of course, the best site to find hostels is Hostelgeeks.com 😉
We are doing our best to deliver the best hostels to you. Check out the best hostels in the world guides; from Paris to Tokyo.
You can also have a look at Hostelworld.
Are hostels in Boulder safe?
Not all hostels in Boulder are necessarily safe, especially the ones that offer cheap prices in sketchy areas. They might be illegal hostels or ones without the proper licenses and safety measures put in place.
In all fairness, it is best to check out Hostelgeeks.com because we feature safe hostels in Boulder. You can find backpacker hostels with top ratings here! Keep a close eye on the overall ratings on booking platforms!
If you are not secure, you can also email us and ask us!
Is Boulder worth visiting?
Yes, Boulder is worth visiting. With its stunning mountain views, amazing outdoor activities, vibrant arts and culture, and diverse cuisine. Whether you're looking for a relaxing weekend getaway or an adventurous outdoor adventure, Boulder has it all.
Any questions about hostels in Boulder?🤔
Join our Facebook Group!
Ask all your questions and connect with like-minded wanderers 🔥
Flights to Boulder?
Skyscanner has a bunch of cool features like Multi-City Trip. Instead of doing this research step-by-step, Skyscanner offers this flight planning tool.
More handmade Guides for you
Here are all our US Hostel Guides:
- best hostels in the USA
- best hostels in New York City, Manhattan and Brooklyn
- best hostels in California
- best hostels in Washington DC
- best hostels in Hawaii, Maui, Kauai, Honolulu and Oahu
- best hostels in Los Angeles
- best hostels in San Diego
- best hostels in San Francisco
- best hostels in Hollywood
- best hostels in Key West
- best hostels in Seattle
- best hostels in Boston
- best hostels in Chicago
- best hostels in New Orleans
- best hostels in Portland
- best hostels in Denver
- best hostels in Houston
- best hostels in Dallas
- best hostels in Miami
- best hostels in Las Vegas
- best hostels in Anchorage
Party hostels in the US:
- coolest party hostels in the US
- coolest party hostels in Miami
- coolest party hostels in San Francisco
Over to you
Do you have any questions left, maybe doubts? Then please leave it in the comment below. We are very keen to help you - and actually you would even do us a favor!
Your question will help us to improve this Boulder guide.
Last note: Our commitment
This is a genuine article to help you travel a bit smarter, and find the best place on a budget! We will never recommend you any place we haven’t evaluated or are not convinced by. We are constantly updating all our guides to keep them as fresh and accurate as possible.
Best Travel Websites we recommend ❤️
(Fresh Update 2023)
Booking Hostels and Discounts 👏👏👏
As a user of Hostelgeeks, you also have access to exclusive hostel discounts. For booking hostels, we use:
We recommend installing the Hostelworld App. It is very useful!
How to find cheaper Flights ✈️
The first websites we always check are Skyscanner and Google Flights.
Find our step-by-step process in our review about Skyscanner.
Travel Insurance made easy 🤒
Smartest Travel Tools you need to know 🤓
- Airalo.com - eSim Cards for traveling worldwide
- Onward Ticket - get proof for onward travel
- iVisa - get your visa online fast
- Get Your Guide - for activities and sightseeing tickets
- Omio.com - for all types of transport
Find all our recommended travel tools and websites here.
Get your Smart Packing List (Free Printable)
Knowing what to pack and what not to pack is key. As an example, you need a one-fits-all padlock.
We put together the ultimate list of smart items to bring.