Are you looking for a fancy cool Travel App for your iPhone? There are dozens of useful apps helping you to navigate, find exclusive tips, or simply send a digital postcard. Sure we know many cool travel apps, and even the Cocomama Amsterdam Hostel has its very own App.
1. Fog of World (map your way)
Let’s start with the most awesome travel app ever – sorry, we really love this application! Certainly one of the coolest Apps for Flashpackers to have is Fog Of World.
Where again was that beautiful and delicious restaurant we went to in Menorca? With Fog of World you can tell your friends exactly where you’ve been, and where some places are located on a map. Stop guessing, no “Maybe here”, or even worse you do not remember at all – with Fog Of World you can check simply and quickly where you have been. The app is tracking your route, so afterwards you can see exactly where you have been.
Nice feature: The App counts the km² you traveled and shows you what percentage you have seen from mother earth. Also, the application gives you some badges for discovering new things – well, ok…. Although this marketing stuff is just for fun, the initial idea of tracking your travel route is a great tool for flashpackers.
The best way to navigate yourself with this is to download the map when you are connected to the internet. The app itself does not require any internet connection as the tracking is completely GPS-based.
- Never get lost – with the GPS signal you always know where you are right now
- The app works perfectly without any internet connection, just a GPS connection is required
- You can download the map to the cache/ memory when you are connected to the internet
- Shows the World Explored Area by km² and by Percentage
- Simple user-friendly interface – Clean Design!
- The GPS kills your battery. We recommend turning off any other function such as WIFI and 3G to get the most out of your battery.
- When you are working with a lot of Apps at the same time, Fog of World may shut down once in a while – keep an eye on that.
A geocache is a small container you need to find just by getting hints such as coordinates or a question. There are more than 2,500,000 geocaches hidden all over the world, and you can use those geocaches to find amazing places in your destinations. Use Geocache as your alternative travel guide. Simply search for caches using the filter option. Here you can see for instance if the cache has any special panoramic view from its location.
Read more about GeoCaching for Slow Travels here.
You can download the full paid GeoCaching App and the free App here.
- You can download and save the caches directly on your phone to use the map, photos, and compass offline.
- There is even a free version, limited to basic features. Great app to get started and to see if you like it.
- No idea…do you have any disadvantages for this app in mind? Please share it with us in the comments.
You can use foursquare in many different ways. The way to use it for travel purposes is simple. Have a look and search for lists created by other users. Usually they save their favorite places like bars, restaurants, and cafés in their own city. This way you can find more local places when traveling to big touristy destinations such as Paris, or London.
- Find truly local places
- You can create your own list on your Foursquare account for friends and other travelers.
- The thing with Online Reviews – read the comments carefully. Comments like “great, cool, cheap” do not tell you anything
- Finding cool lists or places can be time-consuming
4. Skype – Cheap Calls
Skype is your perfect tool for calls abroad. Pay as you go starting with prices from 0.7 cents per minute. Skype is a must-have for every traveler. The app is for free and you can download Skype for the iPhone here.
5. Pudding Camera
Pudding Camera is a camera which includes several colors, retro and vintage filters. The styles of Motion 2×2 or Fisheye can be really fun to play with. Other than Instagram you can take your photos directly with the selected filter and adjust them right away if needed.
Also, here you can find +22 cool Hostels on Instagram.
- You can take your photos directly with a filter on them
- Lots of filter options available
- Unfortunately, the quality of the photos taken by Pudding Cam is lower than the regular camera. While a regular photo taken by an iPhone has dimensions of 3264×2448, photos taken with Pudding Cam are only 1280×854.
This is the app for everybody who loves to upload their travel photos right away to their social networks. Snapseed includes several high-quality filters which can turn a regular photo into an outstanding one. You can download Snapseed here.
- High-Quality filters
- Photos do not lose any quality, even the dimensions of the photo stay the same
- So far, all good – do you have a negative comment about Snapseed? Share your opinion with us!
TripColor is a Social Travel Sharing and Holiday Travel Application, – so far so good. But the actual reason why it is included here is the feature to send a postcard right from the mobile device. You can select a photo from your iPhone, edit the photo, and add a message on the back. You pay right away with your credit card and TripColor will take care of sending the card.
- Simple to use – clear steps to send the post card
- Numerous options to edit your photo
- Sending the post card is quick and at a reasonable price
- Although the photo makes this postcard more personal, the printed message does the opposite – it’s up to you what you prefer.
8. Language tools
There are several iPhone Apps out there specialized in different languages. With the WordUp Croatian Lite you can start communicating in Croatian, and for ordering your Sushi in Japan the Japanese Flash – Vocabulary Flashcards and Dictionary App would be useful. You see, it obviously depends on the language.
We recommend checking out language apps which offer a light version for free. If you are really into it, then you can buy the full version afterwards. And remember, monkey usually do not speak Italian.
- Lighter than any extra translation book
- You may look cooler with this app when communicating
- Make sure nobody steals your phone while you try to figure out what you wanna say
- You may look dumb with this app when communicating
9. Best Apps for camping and hiking
We found this handy article about best apps for camping and hiking, perfect (and a must) for every nature lover out there. It includes free apps with over 50.000 trail maps, cheap apps for first aid and red cross, and many more.
10. Maps Me – Offline maps
Maps.Me allows you to download a map directly to your phone. No internet connection required to find your way in unknown cities. Get more information about MapsMe here.
Another great travel app is UBER. It is a great way to get a ride from A to B on a fix rate, reliable, and fast. Highly recommended.
Summary awesome Travel Apps
There are many awesome travel apps out there, making the travel life easier. We will try to keep this article updated as best as possible. Do you use any other useful travel app? Please share your own app recommendations for flashpacking with us.
– – –
This post is also available in: ger